It is an unique Identification Number allotted to an individual who is an existing director of a company or intends to be appointed as director of a company pursuant to section 266A & 266B of the Companies Act, 1956 (as amended vide Act No 23 of 2006).
Any individual, who is an existing director of a company or intends to be appointed as a director of the company, can file an application for allotment of DIN.
Central Government (Office of Regional Director (Northern Region), Ministry of Corporate Affairs, NOIDA) will allot the DIN.
As per the revised procedure for DIN Allotment, any person intending to apply for DIN shall have to make an application in eForm DIN 1 and should follow the following procedure:
1. eForm DIN-1 has to follow the offline eFiling process . For more details regarding the same visit eFiling FAQ's .
2. Attach the photograph and scanned copy of supporting documents i.e. proof of identity, and proof of residence as per the guidelines. Physical documents are not required to submit at DIN cell.
3. Along with the supporting documents, verification by the applicant for applying for allotment of Director Identification Number (DIN) shall also be attached. This shall contain the Name, Fatherís name, date of birth and text of declaration and physical signature of the applicant.
4. The eForm shall have to be digitally signed and shall be uploaded on MCA21 portal.
5. Upon upload, Pay the fees for DIN1 eForm. Only electronic payment of the fees shall be allowed (I.e. Netbanking / Credit Card). No challan payment will be accepted under revised procedure of DIN allotment.
The applicant is required to get himself/herself registered on the MCA21 Portal to obtain login id, which is necessary for payment of the fees. After obtaining the login-id, Login to the MCA21 portal and click on 'eForm upload' link available under the 'eForms' tab for uploading the eForm DIN 1. eForm DIN-1 will be processed only after the DIN application fee is paid.
6. Upon upload and successful payment,
- In case Form DIN 1 is signed by a practicing professional and details have not been identified as potential duplicate, Approved DIN shall be generated and if the details have been identified as potential duplicate, Provisional DIN shall be genrated.
- In case Form DIN 1 is signed by an applicant or by the Managing Director/ existing director of the Company in which the applicant is a Director or the Company Secretary in full time employment of the Company, or details have been identified as a potential duplicate, provisional DIN shall be generated.
7. Processing of e Form DIN 1
In case, DIN 1 gets certified by the professional ( i.e. CA/ CS/ CWA in whole time practise), the DIN will be approved by the system immediately online(in case it is not potential duplicate). In case of signing by any other signatory (i.e. director/ Managing Director/ secretary of the company with which applicant is to be associated), the MCA DIN cell will examine the e Form DIN 1 and same shall be disposed of within one or two days.
8. Intimate approved DIN to your Companies
On approval of DIN, intimate your DIN to all the company (ies) (within a period of 30 days from the date of approval) in which you are a Director, in form DIN-2. Form DIN-2 can be downloaded and printed from the 'DIN' link on the homepage of MCA portal.
9. Company to intimate your DIN to ROC
After the Director has intimated the DIN allotted to the company(ies). The Company(ies) is/are then required to intimate the DINs of its directors to the ROC in Form DIN-3 within a period of seven days of receiving form DIN-2.(Filing of DIN-3 is applicable only in cases, where the date of appointment of director(s) in such company(ies), is prior to September 1 , 2007)
10. Post-approval changes in particulars of DIN-1
If there is any change in the particulars submitted in form DIN-1, applicant can submit e-form DIN-4 online. For instance in the event of change of address of a director, he/ she is required to intimate this change by submitting eform DIN-4 along with the required attested documents.
The e-Form DIN-4 is required to be digitally signed only by a Chartered Accountant or a Company Secretary or a Cost Accountant (in whole- time practice).
No prefixes like Mr. / Ms. / Kumari / Shri etc should be used in filling the applicantís name.
Enter the applicantís name and fatherís name in full and do not use abbreviations, even if the ID proof contains the name in abbreviated form. Abbreviations in the middle name may be accepted, if such abbreviated middle name is appearing in the enclosed identity proof. Also if middle name is given on the document, same should be mentioned on the application.
The particulars filled in form DIN-1 should match with the details given in the supporting documents to be submitted along with DIN application. Any mis-match will lead to rejection of DIN application.
The e-Form DIN 1 should be digitally signed either by applicant or CA/ CS/ CWA or director/ Managing Director/ secretary of the company with which applicant is to be associated
Yes, DIN application fee of Rs. 100/- is payable w.e.f. 1st July, 2007.
Status of the payment made for Form DIN-1 can be enquired from 'Track Payment Status' link on the homepage of www.mca.gov.in.
ID proof must be currently valid and issued by the Central / State Government or Instrumentalities of state like PSUs, Public Sector Banks, Universities recognized under the UGC Act. It should contain following information:
- Applicant's name with photograph
- Father's Name
- Date of Birth